Sunday, August 30, 2009

Interesting Fact

I didn't know this, but Arkansas is one of the states that falls within the borders of Tornado Alley (http://www.tornadochaser.net/tornalley.html). Love it! I grew up in California where we had to deal with earthquakes, which are obviously horrible and an incredibly dangerous threat to those living on and around fault lines. However, the thought of waking up one morning only to find out our house has been transported three states away by a twister doesn't sit well with me.

Before moving to Arkansas, I wasn't aware of the existence of a "Tornado Alley"; I probably heard of it before on the news but didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I wasn't even aware that Tornadoes touch down in Arkansas until one of the mommies at our daughter's Gymboree gym class mentioned something about a Tornado warning siren the night before during an intense storm. I suppose I didn't do my homework before we moved from California. I mean, it's bad enough when you find out the county you're moving to doesn't sell alcohol, and now this tornado business. I think the image below is an example of a tornado-proof mail box they've been working on down here. Your house may be destroyed, but that Netflix you've been waiting on is safe.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from SF.

    Our mutual bud and former boss sent me this link when I asked him what was up with Michael.
    I never knew you had such a natural gift for observing the everyday world. Would I be going to far to call you the Herb Caen of Benton County?

    Regarding tornadoes, while I've spent over thirty years in San Francisco I grew up in Iowa (part of tornado alley) and apart from a few dozen uprooted trees and missing trailers I never really suffered much from "twisters".
    As you note the lack of "spirits" is far more concerning. Hang in there kid. we're rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete